The Finance and Operations Manager is a newly created position, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, to ensure organisational effectiveness by providing leadership in financial and operational functions. This position will be a key member of the Fitzroy Legal Service Leadership Team, along with the CEO, Principal Lawyer Legal Practice and Principal Lawyer Night Service. The full position description can be downloaded here or read below.
Classification and conditions
The terms and conditions of employment are set out in the Community Legal Centres 2006-2009 Multiple Business Agreement (MBA) and Fitzroy Legal Service policies. This position is classified at Level 7 of the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services (SCHCADS) Industry Award and is offered as a full-time (38 hours per week) position. A less than full time equivalent position will be considered.
All positions at Fitzroy Legal Service are subject to the continuation of external funding.
Salary in the range of $87,000-$93,000 per annum, dependent on skills and experience. Employer funded superannuation is paid in accordance with the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992, and is in addition to the salary offered. The benefits of tax-effective salary packaging, plus an additional three days ex-gratia leave between Christmas and New Year’s Day also provided.
This position can be based at either the Reservoir or Fitzroy office and will involve travel to the other office, on a weekly basis.
Chief Executive Officer
Volunteer Program Manager
Office Manager (Reservoir)
Client Services & Administration Officer (Fitzroy)
How to apply
Candidates are requested to email the following as one PDF document:
· A covering letter, no longer than one page;
· Responses to the Key Selection Criteria; and
· A resume which includes details of education, work and volunteer experience.
Applications should be addressed to Claudia Fatone, Chief Executive Officer, and emailed no later than 5pm Friday 28 June 2019 to email@example.com. Enquiries can be directed to Claudia Fatone on 0403 234 156.
Key outcomes for this role include:
- Ensure Fitzroy Legal Service meets all financial, legal, governance and regulatory requirements in relation to financial management.
- Effective management of the organisation’s cash flow, budget and balance sheet, in accordance with direction from the CEO and Board. This includes provision of high quality financial management information and reports as required.
- Provide strategic advice to the leadership team to inform decision making and resource allocation to ensure efficient and effective utilisation of FLS’ resources.
- Evaluate and manage the organisation’s human resource systems and processes. Recommend and develop improvements to drive a positive culture and increased capacity to meet our organisation’s goals.
- Ensure the effective management of FLS assets and infrastructure, including office premises, equipment, insurance and lease negotiations.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide leadership, direction and support to finance and administrative staff;
- Ensure services are consistent with the FLS vision, values, strategic goals and policy guidelines;
- Support, guide and foster an environment of continuous improvement, best practice, evaluation and innovation;
- Support staff wellbeing, including oversight and management of workload;
- Motivate and guide staff in the implementation of systems, services, and processes that are effective, transparent and well documented;
- Ensure best practice, safe, effective and efficient operational management across two premises and numerous court and outreach locations;
- Work closely with the Principal Lawyers to provide financial and operational support; and
- Oversee the organisation’s compliance with the National CLC Accreditation Scheme.
- Lead annual budgeting and planning process with the CEO;
- Cash flow and asset management;
- Develop and manage annual budget and forecasts;
- Develop and maintain the accounting system and procedures capturing all payments and receipts, and drive recommendations and implement improvements to systems, and ensure compliance with same;
- Prepare statutory accounts and be the liaison with the appointed external auditor/s (organisational and Trust Account);
- Prepare monthly and quarterly management accounts for the organisation including reports to the Finance and Audit Committee, and Board;
- Be responsible for accounting policy and governance, including servicing the Finance and Audit Committee;
- Oversee day to day processing of accounts, receipts, publications sales and membership subscriptions;
- Provide financial management of all project funded activities;
- Work with the CEO and relevant staff on budgetary elements of funding applications and bids;
- Manage payroll, employee benefits and organisational insurance/s;
- Manage bank accounts to ensure sufficient cash flow for daily operations whilst investing surplus cash; and
- Prepare annual returns for the ACNC and other regulatory bodies as required.
Operational Management and Administration:
- Manage internal administration operations, including information and communication technology, knowledge management and OHS;
- Oversee the efficient and safe operations of the office premises at two locations (Fitzroy and Reservoir), including liaison with building owners/landlords;
- Ensure the effective management of FLS assets, including equipment, insurance and lease negotiations; and
- Maintain and review all administration polices and procedures and ensure compliance with same.
Legal Practice Management Support
- Management of the FLS Trust Account, including preparing Annual Trust Statement for auditing in accordance with the requirement of the Victorian Legal Services Board; and
- Act as the FLS Information Barrier Compliance Officer, responsible for overseeing each information barrier to ensure it is effective, monitoring compliance and dealing with any breach or possible breach.
Human Resource Management
- Work with the CEO and Principal Lawyers to develop programs to enhance employee relations, offer employee support and strengthen employee retention;
- Implement initiatives to build a culture aligned with organisational values and principles;
- Oversee employee contracts and adherence to enterprise agreements;
- Maintain and review all employment polices and procedures; and
- Oversee management of the volunteer program.
- Support the achievement of the FLS Vision, Values and Behaviours, adhering to organizational policies and procedures;
- Attend internal staff and planning meetings, supervision and performance review processes;
- Participate in professional development as required;
- Involvement in fundraising and other events as required; and
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting;
- Substantial experience in a similar role;
- Proven leadership and management ability, and the capacity to identify and respond to changing circumstances and priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and model processes and engage in supportive and constructive mentoring and supervision of staff;
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to produce high quality written and verbal reports;
- Demonstrated ability to engage and liaise successfully with a diverse range of stakeholders;
- Highly developed organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure and manage competing demands;
- A high level of computer literacy, including experience in Microsoft applications and databases;
- Experience working with volunteers and a demonstrated understanding of volunteerism;
- Good self-care and stress management skills; and
- Strong commitment to social justice and the philosophy of FLS.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- CPA/CA/IPA qualifications; and
- Experience working within the community and/or legal assistance sector.
- Ability to contribute to a positive working environment;
- Team orientation; and
- Discretion and professionalism.
To be eligible to apply for this position you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or hold a valid work permit or visa. An offer of employment will also be subject to the completion of a National Police Check.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Do you like this post?